03 Nov 5 Tips to Avoid Inviting Your Plumber to Thanksgiving Dinner
On this Thanksgiving holiday we not only stuff ourselves, but we also stuff our garbage disposals, too. The holiday trimmings consist of celery, turkey, stuffing, rice, and yes, even pasta.
Because of the variety of Thanksgiving trimmings and influx of out of town guests, Thanksgiving weekend is prime time for all plumbers to receive emergency calls. These emergencies create a 50 percent increase in business not only for garbage disposal issues, but also to unclog drains and to take care of backed-up sinks and toilets.
“The plumber is the MVP of the day, especially on Thanksgiving,” said Larry Jackson, master plumber and founder of All American Plumbing Services. Plumbers locally and across the country expect another busy holiday season since people think if it’s a garbage disposal, then virtually anything can be disposed of in it. Hence, Thanksgiving becomes the busiest day of the year for plumbers.
To avoid the unexpected guest, your friendly and certified plumber to the house, just follow these simple tips:
- A garbage disposal is not like a turkey – it’s not meant to be stuffed.
- Don’t pour fats or cooking oils down drains. They solidify in pipes. Instead, wipe grease from pots with paper towels and throw them in the garbage. You can also collect your fats, oils and grease, put them in a jar or some container and drop them off at your recycling center or at least throw them in your resident trash area at the minimum.
- Don’t place stringy, fibrous or starchy waste in the garbage disposal, including poultry skins. Disposals can’t sufficiently grind these items. Fibrous rinds such as lemon peel, orange peel, and potato peels are equally tough enemies of the garbage disposal. Amazingly bananas, strawberries and celery stalks will cause clogs as well.
- Make sure the disposal is running when you put food into it. Don’t wait until it’s full to turn it on. Run warm water.
- Keep a steady stream of water flowing out of your kitchen faucet. Please turn off the disposal before the water, you will thank us later!
We hope you follow these quick tips to avoid garbage disposal backups! But, should you chose to ignore our 5 tips, we will be happy to come out and meet the family and maybe play a little flag football on the front lawn with the kids.
Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving from all of us at All American Plumbing Services!